The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
The Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity - Workforce Development (LEO-WD) is pleased to offer the HSE-to-School Program. The purpose of the program is to inspire and encourage Michigan residents who are pursuing their high school equivalency credential to transition to Michigan community colleges or universities for academic and career focused coursework and programs. Based on available funding, the HSE-to-School Program covers the cost of one attempt on each subject area for the two high school equivalency testing options - GED or HiSET - for Michigan residents who meet eligibility requirements.
*HSE-to-School program participants must be 16 years of age or older. Participants who are 16 and not yet 18 must complete a HSE Age Waiver Form.
GED® Test Series Requirements (In-Person or Online Testing):
- The individual has not previously taken a GED® content area test free of charge under the HSE-to-School Program (previously called GED-to-School Program).
- NEW REQUIREMENT: All Applicants must have achieved a passing score on the official GED® Ready Practice test within the last 90 days. GED® Ready practice tests can be found online at www.ged.com.
- Applicants must submit the HSE-to-School GED Voucher Request Form to be considered for an HSE-to-School voucher code.
The processing time for voucher codes is about 7-10 business days.
HiSET® Test Series Requirements (In-Person Testing Only):
- The individual has not previously taken a HiSET® content area test free of charge under the HSE-To-School Program.
- Prior to taking a HiSET® content area test, the individual completes the HiSET® practice tests with a "passing" score. Official practice tests may be taken with an adult education program offering HiSET® preparation.
- To find an adult education program in your area, Adult Education Services Locator.
If you need to improve your academic skills, need help with the GED or HiSET Test Series, and would like more information about adult education services in Michigan, please visit our Learn More, Earn More website.