School Administrator Certificate Renewal
The School Administrator Certificate is a five-year certificate with unlimited renewals. Each renewal adds five years to the certificate’s validity. A renewal can be requested any time after January 1, of the expiration year.
Requirements: (One of the following):
- Education-Related Professional Learning totaling 150 hours.
- A valid out-of-state certificate, appropriate for K-12 administration may be used one time.
NOTE: A school administrator who holds a valid Michigan Professional Teaching Certificate shall be considered as meeting the Education-Related Professional Learning requirement upon evaluation.
Education-Related Professional Learning Options
One of the following Education-Related Professional Learning options must be earned since the issue date of the most recent certificate or renewal. These hours must be entered into Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS) prior to applying for the renewal for the system to recognize your eligibility:
- 6 semester credit hours appropriate to the content and grade level of the certificate and endorsement from a regionally accredited college or university; or
- 6 semester hours in a planned course of study* from a regionally accredited college or university; or
- 150 Michigan State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) appropriate to the content and grade level of the certificate and endorsement; or
- 150 hours of Michigan District Provided Professional Development (DPPD) appropriate to the content and grade level of the certificate and endorsement.
- Any combination of the above.
*Credits in a planned course of study may include credits taken as part of an education-related master’s or higher degree or credits in a program that leads to an endorsement.
Education-Related Professional Learning Conversion
|College credit||1 semester credit = 25 professional learning hours|
|SCECH||1 SCECH Hour = 1 professional learning hour|
|DPPD||1 DPPD hour = 1 professional learning hour|