Skip to main content

Temporary Credentials

This document provides an overview of the temporary credentials that provide flexibility for schools to place non-certified/non-endorsed individuals in a variety of teaching or administrative assignments. The information may be useful to Educator Preparation Providers (EPPs) in supporting current educators and educator candidates in obtaining appropriate temporary credentials, which can help them transition into the profession and further develop their skill sets.

It is important to note that there is no provision for an Emergency Teaching Certificate in Michigan. Rather, one of the permit options must be completed. In addition, the relative roles of school districts and EPPs in the application and approval processes for permits vary with the type of permit. EPPs are encouraged to work with schools and districts to maximize the appropriate use of temporary credential options in meeting their staffing needs.

Teaching Permits

Teaching permit options include the Daily Substitute Permit, Full-Year Basic Substitute Permit, Full-Year Shortage Substitute Permit, and Expert Substitute Permit. These permits authorize schools to employ teacher candidates and certified teachers in positions for which they are not certified or endorsed. This may be on an occasional basis while a candidate is completing coursework or a more full-time basis during a directed teaching experience.

Special Education Approvals

Applications for Special Education Teacher Approvals are submitted by a school district on behalf of an educator, and then processed by an EPP. Understanding the EPPs’ necessary obligations and the supports they can offer is vital to an educator’s success. The approval does not add a special education endorsement to the educator’s certificate, but allows a district to employ a certified teacher without a special education endorsement in a temporary special education placement.

Annual Career Authorizations

Individuals working under an Annual Career Authorization (ACA) can be employed for up to 10 years while they work to complete a bachelor’s degree and the Career and Technical Education (CTE)program requirements for certification. The employing school must apply for the ACA. This group of individuals can benefit from unique supports as completing a bachelor’s degree can be particularly challenging. Note that the degree does not have to be completed through a CTE-approved EPP.

Preliminary School Counselor Credential and Preliminary School Psychologist Certificate

Both the Preliminary School Counselor Credential and the Preliminary School Psychologist Certificate are designed to support educators through the final stages of their preparation programs. Coordination between an EPP and an employing district can support these educators in completing their clinical experience requirements while filling school shortage and staffing needs.

School Administrator Permit

A School Administrator Permit allows a school district to employ an individual who does not hold a valid certificate as an administrator while the individual completes the requirements for an administrator certificate by working with an EPP approved for Administrator Certification. The permit is granted to a school or school district, not to the individual, and is not transferrable to another school.