Special Education Resources
The Office of Special Education (OSE) along with its IDEA Grant Funded Initiatives and partners have compiled online resources to support educators, parents and families, and students during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Office of Special Education Online Resources (PDF)
- OSE Grant Funded Initiatives Online Resources (PDF)
Information for Families With Children Receiving Special Education Services
Supporting children with intellectual and developmental disabilities during extended times away from school and changing routines due to health outbreaks can be challenging. There are a number of strategies to use at home to help children settle into time away from school and into new routines and to reduce worry and anxiety.
- Navigating Extended Time Away From School - Family Matters Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Navigating Extended Time Away From School - Arabic (PDF)
- Navigating Extended Time Away From School - Spanish (PDF)
- View all Family Matters fact sheets
Special Education Health Services
- Kennedy Krieger Institute COVID-19 Planning Considerations Students with Special Health Needs (PDF)
- Michigan Association of School Nurses Considerations for Staff Assisting Students with Special Healthcare Needs (PDF)
Return to Learn for Students with IEPs Webinars
To promote family-school collaborations and provide a common and consistent understanding between parents, families, advocates, school districts, and intermediate school districts, the Michigan Department of Education Office of Special Education (MDE OSE) hosted two webinars specifically designed for parents, families, and advocates of students with individualized education programs (IEPs).
The guidance document, Return to Learn for Students with IEP's, is the foundation for the discussion in each webinar.
The December 2020 webinar provided an update to the initial presentation from September. Both touch on the six special education priority topic areas established for the 2020-2021 school year.
December 2020 Update
Special Education Information Line
If you have a question related to special education, call 888-320-8384 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.