Electronic Waste Takeback ProgramContact: Steve Noble 517-449-6153Agency: Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy
Electronic Waste Takeback Program The Electronic Waste Takeback Program was established in 2008 as part of a law promoting electronic waste recycling.
The law requires:
Manufacturers who are selling new TVs and computers in Michigan must:
- Register with the Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE).
- Have an electronic recycling (takeback) program-free and convenient for households and small businesses (less than 10 employees)
- Maintain a Web site and otherwise inform consumers how to recycle TVs and computers
- Submit annual information about their takeback program (number of units collected, names of collection or recycling agencies involved)
- Sell ONLY new computers and TVs produced by registered manufacturers
A retailer may not offer for sale a covered electronic device in the state of Michigan per Section 17303 unless the brand owner of the device is in compliance with the requirements of Act 451, Part 173, Electronics.
A covered electronic device includes but is not limited to desktop computers, laptop computers, monitors, tablets, televisions and printers. Here is an explanation of the term Covered Electronic Device.
EGLE generates a registered brands list based on registrations received, reviewed and determined to be administratively complete. This is the currently registered brands and the associated manufacturers. The list is updated 6 times a year as companies complete the registration process outlined by the Michigan Electronics Takeback Program, Act 451, Part 173.
- Register with EGLE.
- Comply with federal and state recycling laws.
- Annually report the amount of recycled material and the names and locations of recycling facilities under their direct control in Michigan who processed the recycled equipment.
FY 2019 information:
- 2020 Registered Recyclers List
- 2020 Registered Manufacturers List
- 2020 Registered Recyclers Certifications List
- 2020 Mailback ProgramLlist
FY 2019 information:
- 2019 Registered Recyclers List
- 2019 Registered Manufacturers List
- 2019 Registered Recyclers Certifications List
Part 173 Reports: