Waste Compliance and Enforcement
Functions and activities of the Materials Management Division's (MMD) Enforcement Section are to:
1) Provide guidance and training to MMD staff regarding compliance and enforcement activities.
2) Initiate and support timely and effective administrative and civil escalated enforcement actions for violations related to hazardous waste and solid waste management facilities, scrap tire collection sites, radioactive materials users, low-level radioactive waste generators, and medical waste generators that are found to be in violation of state law and do not voluntarily return to compliance in a timely manner.
3) Coordinate administrative enforcement actions, such as contested cases and permit/license revocations.
4) Include pollution prevention and waste minimization programs in enforcement settlements whenever possible.
5) Support the Department of Attorney General in the defense of lawsuits against EGLE.