Michigan Underwater Preserves Council
The Michigan Underwater Preserve Council, Inc., is a private, non-profit organization.
The purpose of the Council is to:
- Foster cooperative stewardship of the historical, cultural, natural and recreational resources associated with the preserves.
- Enhance the quality (safety, access and diver ethics) of preserve diving, and provide preserve-related opportunities for nondivers.
- Support and speak as a unified voice for the preserve committees.
- Promote wider involvement in the preserve council and individual preserves through membership, networking, partnerships and volunteers.
- Market the preserves, and cooperatively market diving in Michigan.
- Identify, support and participate in projects which benefit the state's preserves (e.g. placement of marker buoys, development and application of new technologies, artificial enhancement, education) Provide input and advice on permits and preserve-related research efforts.
- Act as an information clearinghouse and referral service to: existing preserve committees, existing and potential preserve-related businesses, and groups interested in establishing new preserve committees.
- Facilitate communication among preserve committees and with different preserve stakeholders. Monitor, assess and develop positions on emerging issues and factors which impact on the preserves and preserves committees. Communicate these positions to the legislature, relevant agencies and organizations, and preserve stakeholders.
For more Information, contact:
Michigan Underwater Preserve Council
560 North State Street
St. Ignace, MI 49781 800-970-8717