Academic achievement and high graduation rates are two of the cornerstones of the federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) has identified Continuous Support and Improvement (CSI) Schools, those schools in the bottom 5% of all schools in the state and/or those that fail to achieve a graduation rate of 67% or higher. The districts with CSI Schools receive support services from the MDE through its partner Intermediate School Districts and Education Service Agencies to build capacity in order to increase student achievement and/or graduation rates.
You are here
MI Excel Statewide System of Support
CSI schools are Michigan public schools identified in the bottom 5% of the Statewide Top-to-Bottom ranking or that failed to achieve a graduation rate of 67% or higher. The MI Excel Program works with CSI schools identified in 2018.
MI Excel Program Contacts
- Ben Boerkoel, Manager, (517) 241-9386
- John Taylor, Consultant, (517) 241-4715
- Connie McCall, Analyst, (517) 241-6962
MI Excel Program District Service Plans
For a sample of the MI Excel Regional Assistance Grant District Service Plan, contact Ben Boerkoel
Regional Assistance Grants (RAG) Supporting MI Excel Schools
MI Excel Schools receive funding for services to support their school improvement programs and initiatives. The Regional Assistance Grants (RAG) are awarded to Intermediate School Districts with CSI Schools under their jurisdiction.
- 2018-19 Title I Regional Assistance Grants Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Coming Soon
- 2018-19 Regional Assistance Grant Eligible CSI Schools
- 2018-19 Implementation Facilitator MDE Memo
- 2018-19 Implementation Facilitator Guidance
- 2018-19 Coaching Definition and Guidance
Section 1003(g) School Improvement Grants (SIG)
School Improvement Grant (SIG), authorized under section 1003(g) of Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA), is a grant to Michigan used to make competitive sub-grants to local educational agencies (LEAs) that demonstrated the greatest need for the funds and the strongest commitment to use the funds to provide adequate resources in order to substantially raise the achievement of students in our lowest-performing schools. In Michigan, five cohorts have been awarded the SIG as sub-grantees since the 2010-11 fiscal year. While the SIG is no longer available to new applicants, Cohorts 4 and 5 are currently implementing the SIG funded programs and activities until the 2020 and 2021 school years, respectively.
MI Excel Partners
- AdvancED Michigan
- Calhoun Intermediate School District Consortium provides services to all CSI, TSI and ATS designated schools in Blueprint, early literacy, and assessing needs. For more information contact Dr. Grant Chandler, Executive Director, MI Excel Statewide Field Team at email@example.com
- The Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA)
- LEA and School Improvement Non-Regulatory Guidance
- Michigan Revised School Code - School Improvement Plans
- MDE Guidance on Federal Grants
Michigan CSI Schools