Operating While Intoxicated (OWI) Enforcement Training
UPDATE; April 2020 DRE and DRE Instructor Schools POSTPONED until further notice:
In accordance with Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services’ recommendations designed to help prevent the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), we will be POSTPONING the DRUG RECOGNITION EXPERT SCHOOL and DRUG RECOGNITION EXPERT INSTRUCTOR TRAINING scheduled to be begin on APRIL 13, 2020.
The state is taking proactive steps to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in Michigan. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in reducing the coronavirus risk to Michigan residents.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Michael P. Harris
DRE Program Coordinator
Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning
Michigan State Police
7150 Harris Drive
Dimondale, Michigan 48821
MAIN LINE: 517-284-3332
Michigan offers a comprehensive, three-tiered training program for law enforcement officers on the detection and apprehension of impaired drivers. Each tier builds on the previous to create a complete enforcement curriculum and ensure officers have the highest success at identifying and removing dangerous impaired drivers from the road.
These training programs were developed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in partnership with the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
OWI Training Dates and Locations MiTrain
All current ARIDE, SFST and DRE training dates and locations are posted in MiTrain. To access available training dates, times, locations and class registration, please click on the MiTrain link listed for the specific training type.
To search training opportunities and register for classes in MiTrain, an account in MiTrain is required. Instructions on setting up an account in MiTrain are listed on the MiTrain Home page.
- 24-hour SFST Practitioner Training: Mi-Train / Course Code 1034200
- 4-hour SFST Refresher Training: Mi-Train / Course Code 1049109
- 32-hour SFST Instructor Training: Mi-Train / Course Code 1030209
- 4-hour SFST Instructor Refresher Training: Mi-Train / Course Code 1063302
- 16-hour ARIDE Training: Mi-Train / Course Code 1030629
- DRE Training: MiTrain / Course Code TBD (pre-selected candidates only)
- DRE Continuing Education Training: MiTrain / Course Code TBD (pre-selected candidates only)
- DRE Instructor Training: Mi-Train / Course Code 1079571 (pre-selected candidates only)