Training: Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Plan Review and Design
Comprehensive Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control Certification allows you to:
- Review and/or design Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Plans
- Make final decisions regarding Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Permit issuance or denial
- Make determinations on whether or not to pursue enforcement action for noncompliance with Part 91
- Make plan updates as an employee or contractor for an Authorized Public Agency or request plan updates of permittees
- Review and/or Design Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Measures or make determinations that design assistance is needed for Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Measures (e.g. sediment basins, diversions, riprap sizing, etc.)
The Construction Storm Water Certifications are valid until July 1, five years from the year in which you take and pass the certification exam. Comprehensive Soil Erosion Certifications of Training issued after January 1, 2012, will also follow the aforementioned renewal schedule with certifications being valid until July 1, five years from the year in which you take and pass the certification exam. Older SESC certificates of training were valid for five years from the date of the test.
*Those individuals responsible for plan review and/or design, permit issuance determinations, and decisions on enforcement actions are required to have valid certificates of Comprehensive Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Training.
*Construction Storm Water Operator (CSWO) Certification is a prerequisite to Comprehensive Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Certification. If you do not currently have CSWO Certification, you MAY elect to register for and take both the CSWO exam and the Comprehensive exam on the same day. If you choose this option, please note: If you fail the CSW exam, your Comprehensive Exam will not be graded and will be considered an automatic fail. You will be required to pay for both exams prior to receiving the results and before being allowed to retest.
- 2019 Self-Study Soil Erosion Plan Review & Design Exam Schedule
- 2020 Self-Study Soil Erosion Plan Review & Design Exam Schedule
- 2019 Soil Erosion Plan Review & Design Training Schedule
- 2020 Soil Erosion Plan Review & Design Training Schedule
- How to Pay and Expectations
- EGLE SESC / CSW Staff Map
- Training Manual
- Training Video
- Training FAQ
The SESC Plan Review & Design (i.e. Comprehensive SESC) certification of training must also be renewed once every 5 years; however, this is not renewable by mail. You may renew your certification by completing a recertification course. The recertification course is a new option offered by EGLE. The recertification course is approximately 3 hours long, and will be offered in the District offices. At the conclusion of the course you will receive a recertification form that needs to be completed and submitted to EGLE with a $95 fee. Contact your district SESC staff person to register for one of the recertification courses. Please be aware that the recertification form needs to be post marked by July 1st to be accepted.
- 2019 SESC Plan Review and Design Refresher Course Schedule
- 2020 SESC Plan Review and Design Refresher Course Schedule
Individuals should check the status of their SESC Plan Review & Design (i.e. Comprehensive SESC) certification date.
The CSWO certification is a prerequisite to the SESC Plan Review & Design (i.e. Comprehensive SESC) certification. Therefore, an individual must possess the CSWO certification first before being able to register for the SESC Plan Review & Design training and exam. If the individual is unsure whether or not they have the CSWO certification (or their date of expiration, as discussed earlier), they can check for their name on the List of Construction Storm Water Certified Operators.
If an individual needs both certifications, there are two ways to complete this task:
- Register first for the CSWO Training and Exam. It will take approximately 4-6 weeks to receive their certification. Once this is obtained, they can register for and take the Soil Erosion Plan Review & Design training and exam (self-study or classroom session).
- Register for both exams on the same day (in this case, they would register for the CSWO training and exam and Soil Erosion Plan Review & Design Self-Study exam). They would attend the CSWO training, take that exam first; then move right into the next exam.
DISCLOSURE: Payment will be required for both exams; regardless of test score. The CSWO exam is always graded first, with the SESC Plan Review & Design exam to be graded second. If an individual fails the CSWO exam, their SESC Plan Review & Design exam will be thrown out as an automatic fail (yet payment will still be required). An individual will NOT receive future exam results until payment for both failed exams is received.