Ballast Water ControlContact: Sylvia Heaton 517-449-6307
Provided below are links to Ballast Water Control Port Operations and Ballast Water Discharge related information. The downloadable documents are available in PDF format.
EGLE's Water Resources Division (WRD) uses a permitting system called MiWaters. MiWaters establishes a streamlined electronic permitting process, allowing Michigan to fulfill federal electronic reporting requirements and providing an online component for access to public information. The focus of MiWaters is permitting and compliance, including National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permits (including storm water permits) and Groundwater Discharge Permits. It includes electronic reporting of untreated or partially treated sanitary wastewater.
One of our focuses in developing MiWaters is to create a system that makes it easier for the WRD to communicate with, and provide services electronically to, our regulated community. Below is a list of some of the functions and features that MiWaters provides:
- Permit applications will be submitted electronically.
- The Electronic Environmental Discharge Monitoring Reporting (e-DMR) system is replaced with a more sophisticated system that will provide additional validation and feedback to permittees, and help detect and prevent errors prior to submittal.
- All permit-required submittals will be submitted electronically.
- Those with a MiWaters account will be able to manage permissions, deciding who can view, edit, and submit applications or submittals.
- Wastewater treatment plants will manage biosolids application sites online. Requests may be submitted through MiWaters with notification sent upon approval.
- MiWaters will provide near real-time notifications, to the permittee, of any violations determined by the system or by staff, providing permittees with an early "heads up" and opportunity to correct problems.
MiWaters training information is available as seminars, webinars, and videos.
- Ballast Water Control Permit - Frequently Asked Questions
- Ballast Water Control General Permit (Issued January 31, 2017)
- Ballast Water Control General Permit (Issued March 9, 2012)
- Ballast Water Control General Permit Application PDF or Ballast Water Control General Permit Application WORD - These are for informational purposes only. Submittals shall be done through the MiWaters database.
- Ballast Water Control General Permit - Public Comment Responsiveness Summary
- Ballast Water Management Practices Reporting Requirements and Report Form
- Port Operations Notification Report PDF or Port Operations Notification Report Word)
- Act No. 33, Public Acts of 2005
- Act No. 32, Public Acts of 2005
- Part 31 statute
Additional Watercraft Related Information
- Vessel Sewage Discharges and No Discharge Zones
- Act 451 of 1994 - Part 95 Watercraft Pollution Control
Additional Ballast Water Links