The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Contact: Darrin McCullough, 517-242-8647
Provided below are links related to the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit for the application of Pesticides. The downloadable documents are available in PDF format.
EGLE's Water Resources Division (WRD), uses MiEnviro, a based permitting and compliance database. MiEnviro enables Michigan to fulfill federal electronic reporting requirements and providing an online component for access to public information. Below is a list of some of the functions and features that MiEnviro provides:
- Permit applications will be submitted electronically.
- Those with a MiEnviro account will be able to manage permissions, deciding who can view, edit, and submit applications or submittals.
- MiEnviro will provide near real-time notifications, to the permittee, of any violations determined by the system or by staff, providing permittees with an early "heads up" and opportunity to correct problems.
MiEnviro training information is available as seminars, webinars, and videos.
- Pesticide Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- NPDES Permitting and Pesticides Presentation
- NPDES Fees
- Part 4 Rules - Water Quality Standards
- Part 31 Rules
- Part 21 Rules - Wastewater Discharge Permits
- Part 33 Rules
- Part 83 - Regulations 636 and 637
Pesticide NPDES Permit Documents
- Mosquito and Other Flying Pest Control - Issued General Permit
- Forest Canopy Pest Control - Issued General Permit
- Aquatic Nuisance Plant and Algae Control - Issued General Permit
- Aquatic Nuisance Animal Control and Fish Reclamation - Issued General Permit
Pesticide NPDES Permit Application Documents
- The NPDES Permit Application for Pesticide Discharges form is included in MiEnviro.
- Pesticide Discharge Management Plan Template PDF
- Pesticide Discharge Management Plan Template WORD
- Pesticide General Permits Application Guidance and Requirements PDF
- EPA NPDES - Pesticide Program - Draft General Permit and Fact Sheet
In addition, any water treatment additive (WTA) that is discharged to a surface water of the state from an NPDES permitted discharge requires prior review and approval by the WRD. Pesticides used for controlling mosquito larvae in waters discharged under NPDES permits are considered WTAs. Requests to perform pesticide treatment in wastewater treatment systems and catch basins covered by an NPDES permit must originate from the permittee and be made under the Water Treatment Additive approval process.
For applications of pesticides to catch basins and/or waters in a storm sewer system or wastewater treatment system that are covered by an NPDES permit, an approval under the Water Treatment Additive approval process is necessary. This includes municipalities, industries and storm water sewer systems under the Phase I and Phase II storm water regulations.
- Michigan West Nile Virus
- Part 169, Scrap Tire Regulation
- Michigan Mosquito Control Association
- Wetland Permits
- Protection of Threatened Species
- Michigan Natural Features Inventory - Special Plants and Animals
- EPA NPDES Pesticides Background
- EPA Agriculture - Office of Water
- EPA - Pesticides
- Michigan Department of Agriculture - Pesticide licensing, certification, and registration
- Water Quality and Pollution Control in Michigan Sections 303(d), 305(b), and 314 Integrated Report