The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Graphic Packaging International, LLC
Graphic Packaging International, LLC
Graphic Packaging International, LLC (GPI) is located at 1421 N. Pitcher Street, in Kalamazoo. GPI produces paper-based packaging for a variety of products including cups, cartons, boxes, and other food containers. It produces the paper material as well as folding and labeling the products. Industrial processes at the facility are subject to state and federal air quality rules and regulations as well as various waste and water regulations.
- For the pollutants, ozone, and particulate matter that is 2.5 microns in diameter or less, you can find real-time air monitoring information on EGLE's air monitoring webpage or sign up to receive air quality alerts through Enviroflash.
- USEPA Geospatial Monitoring of Air Pollution (August 19, 2021)
- February 2023 Update: EGLE's AQD did limited ambient (outdoor) air sampling from November 14 through 18, 2022, near the City of Kalamazoo's Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) located at 1415 Harrison Street. The sampling was prompted by the results of a May 2022 experimental drone study which showed further investigation in this area was needed, specifically for carbonyl compounds. The purpose of the November sampling activities was to get a better idea of levels of carbonyl compounds, including formaldehyde, in the area around the WWTP. Full results are available in the Community Sampling in Kalamazoo, Michigan report.
- October 2021: EGLE, USEPA, and the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS) held an on-line community meeting on October 5, 2021, to discuss air sampling activities around GPI. The presentation slides and the meeting recording are available to view.
- September 2022
- An air permit application was submitted by the company, requesting the removal of a boiler, updating stack sizes, increasing the allowed heat rating on one dryer while decreasing it for others, changes to emissions limits from pounds per million BTU (lb/MMBtu) to pounds per hour (lb/hr), and adding the requirement for continuous emissions monitors (CEMS). The application is still undergoing technical review at this time. Prior to acting on this application, the AQD will hold a public comment period and a public hearing to allow all interested parties the opportunity to comment on the proposed PTI. More information will be shared at Michigan.gov/EGLEAirPublicNotice (choose “Permits / Open for Comment”) as it becomes available.
- Work on the enforcement action is moving forward and is anticipated to go out for public notice and comment in fall 2022. The public notice and comment period will include a virtual information session and public hearing. Comments will be accepted at any time during the comment period. More information will be shared at Michigan.gov/EGLEAirPublicNotice (choose “Compliance / Consent Orders”) as it becomes available.
- An EGLE experimental drone study was done inside and on the property of the Kalamazoo Waste Water Treatment Plant. This was a nonregulatory study intended to assess and learn new drone technology. The experimental data is still being analyzed and quality controlled. The information was valuable and EGLE is conducting a full, methodical, rigorous investigation of issues in and around the facility.
- A violation notice was issued on September 8, 2022, for installing equipment different than what was originally permitted, not keeping appropriate records and for failing a stack test.
- November 2022: EGLE is taking enforcement action and is seeking public input on a proposed consent order. The Proposed Enforcement Summary has high level information about the proposed monetary penalty, a compliance plan, and penalties for future violations. Comments can be submitted at any time during the comment period ending on December 9, 2022. An informational session and public hearing will be held on December 1, 2022, at 6:00 PM EST.
- December 2022
- View the recording of the December 1, 2022, informational session and public hearing on the proposed enforcement action. The public comment period for this enforcement action will remain open until December 9, 2022.
- A violation notice was issued on December 19, 2022, for an alleged violation of Rule 901 due to strong and persistent odors detected off-site on December 14.
- February 2023: EGLE and Graphic Packaging finalized the consent order on February 1, 2023, to resolve several violations at the facility. The consent order will require the company to pay a monetary fine of $109,270 and abide by a compliance plan. Changes were made to the originally proposed consent order in response to comments from the public. These changes include:
- Addition of timeline for Envirosuite data sharing. Graphic Packaging is required to post Envirosuite monitoring network data no later than 90 days after the effective date of the Consent Order.
- Addition of the December 19, 2022, Violation Notice with a $10,000.00 increase to the monetary fine.
Michigan Dept. of Health and Human Services (MDHHS)
800‑MI‑TOXIC or 800‑648‑6942
Clean Air Assistance Program
EGLE District Office
City of Kalamazoo
Odor Observation Form