Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN)
WARN offers protection to workers, their families and communities by requiring employers to provide notice 60 days in advance of covered plant closings and covered mass layoffs. This notice must be provided:
- Affected workers or their representatives (e.g., a labor union)
- State of Michigan's Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity - Workforce Development
- The appropriate unit of local government.
- Facility closure with an employment loss of 50 or more employees during any 30-day period.
- Layoff resulting in an employment loss of;
- 500 or more employees OR
- 50-499 employees if they make up at least 33% of the employer's workforce
- Facility closure or mass layoff reaching the employment loss threshold during any 90-day period.
For additional information, please review the WARN Criteria fact sheet.
All WARNS, upon submission, will be made available for the public.
Company officials may submit a WARN to the State of Michigan via:
- WARN PORTAL (Coming soon!)
- Email at LEO-RapidResponseCommunications@Michigan.gov
- Fax at 517-373-7794
- Postal mail to:
Jimelle Howard, Manager
Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity, Workforce Development
201 N. Washington Square
Lansing, Michigan 48913
Additionally, layoffs and closures that do no meet WARN criteria may be submitted via the WARN public portal with an indication of sub-WARN.
- WARN Criteria
- Joint Adjustment Committee (JAC)
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Rapid Response Services