To ensure that every student is taught by an accomplished teacher, it is important to look at opportunities for quality professional growth. The National Board of Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) has designed National Board Certification to develop, retain, and recognize accomplished teachers. There are more than 118,000 National Board Certified Teachers (NBCTs) throughout the nation, with 463 from Michigan. National Board Certification is the most respected professional certification available in K-12 education.
Benefits of National Board Certification:
- Improves student learning according to a vast majority of research.
- Drives equity and excellence for students, especially in high-need contexts.
- Financial Incentives: A number of local school districts and professional organizations recognize National Board Certification with increased financial opportunities.
- State Recognition: Teachers may earn up to a total of 150 SCECHs if they complete the program and receive National Board Certification. Once completed, the NBPTS indicator is added to a Michigan Teaching Certificate. In addition, National Board Certified Teachers meet the teacher leader requirement to obtain the Advanced Professional Education certificate.
- Educational Credits: Universities frequently provide graduate credit to teachers pursuing National Board Certification. Check with your local university to see if graduate credit is a possibility for you.
- Leadership Opportunities: Board certification can enable teachers to take on leadership roles such as instructional coaches and department chairs, advancing careers while staying in the classroom.
- To learn more about benefits, go to NBPTS’ Why Certify? and In Your State webpages.
National Board Certification is available in 25 certificate areas representing 16 different disciplines and four developmental levels and is applicable to most teachers in U.S. public schools.
To begin your journey towards National Board Certification, visit the Get Started webpage.
To learn more about National Board Certification, please visit the following:
- MDE National Board Certification Guidance Document
- National Board of Professional Teaching Standards website: www.nbpts.org.
- Renewal of National Board Certification: Maintenance of Certification One Pager
- Follow NBPTS on Facebook and Twitter