The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) is continuing the Future Proud Michigan Educator (Future PME) initiative with a competitive grant to develop Explore programs for students interested in the teaching profession. Local and intermediate school districts are invited to apply up to $10,000 per school to implement Future PME Explore programs.
Through Future PME Explore, students can express their creativity, have voice in their own learning, feel connected to their schools, and have authentic, meaningful relationships with educators. Designed for students in grades 6-12, Future PME Explore programming provides an expanded opportunity to grow and diversify our future teacher workforce.
In the Future PME Explore programs, local and intermediate school districts will develop hands-on learning experiences in teaching for students. As a partner, MDE will provide districts with flexible models for implementation; Explore content, competencies, and curriculum; and free professional development for educators.
Future PME Explore Goals
- Promote positive messaging about the teaching profession and teachers
- Increase the number of students interested in education professions
- Offer programming that is flexible, inclusive and equity focused
- Reduce barriers to higher education/educator preparation
- Support Grow Your Own approaches to teacher recruitment
Explore Grant Timeline
Applications due: August, 2022
Award Period: April, 2022 - September, 2023
Activities Supported with Grant Funds
- Identify an implementation team including instructional staff, administrative staff and, where appropriate, faculty from partnering two-year and four-year institutions of higher education. The team will need to identify the purpose of their program(s) and their intended model(s).
- Create an implementation plan that will build structures during this grant period for a program launch in 2022-23 or 2023-24.
- Begin course design and add it to the master schedule for the implementation year. The team should be prepared to review MDE provided resources, update course catalogs and gain school board approval to offer a future teacher course for elective or general education credit.
- Provide immediate opportunities to engage students in exploring, growing or affirming their interest in a career as an educator. These opportunities should also serve as initial recruitment strategies for future course enrollment.
Examples of allowable fund expenditures include, but are not limited to:
- Professional Learning aligned with Future PME Explore competencies
- Teacher collaboration and planning for Future PME Explore programs
- Experiences, events, and clubs for Future PME explore students
- Media and Marketing to promote a Future PME Explore program
Unallowable expenses: Funds may be used to supplement, but not supplant, employee salaries. Costs of entertainment, including amusement, diversion, and social activities, and any costs directly associated with such costs are unallowable. Costs of alcoholic beverages are unallowable.