The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Critical Shortage Loan Forgiveness and Deferment
Annually, the Michigan Department of Education submits a list of critical shortage areas to the U.S. Department of Education’s (USED) Office of Postsecondary Education for the purpose of student loan forgiveness and/or deferment.
The USED requires MDE to provide a yearly list of discipline areas for which new teachers or teachers with student loans can obtain loan forgiveness or deferment. These would include:
- Family Federal Education Loan Program (FFEL);
- Federal Supplemental Loans for Students (SLS) programs (34 CFR 682.210(q));
- Federal Perkins Loan Program (34 CFR 674.53(c)); and
- Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program (34 CFR 686).
Eligibility for loan forgiveness or deferment is also dependent on working in the schools that have been identified with the highest need. More information on eligible schools can be found using the following directories:
The MDE does not manage loans or have additional information regarding forgiveness or deferment.
Questions regarding loan forgiveness or deferment should be directed to U.S. Federal Student Aid.
2023-2024 Federal Shortage Discipline List for Loan Forgiveness
- Art and Music Education: Visual, Music and Dance
- Career and Technical Education
- Career and Technical Education: Family and Consumer Sciences
- Career and Technical Education: Industrial and Technology Education
- Elementary Education
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Health and Physical Fitness: Health
- Language Arts: All Reading and Literacy
- Language Arts: Communications
- Sciences: All
- Social Studies: All
- Special Education: All Exceptionalities, Roles and Supports
- Support Staff: Guidance and Counseling
- Support Staff: Instructional Library Media
- Support Staff: School Social Workers
- World Languages: Any World Language