Section 53a of the State School Aid Act provides 100 percent reimbursement of the added costs of operating special education programs for eligible pupils. Examples of pupils who may qualify for reimbursement include:
- Pupils assigned to a district through the courts or a state agency, if the pupil was a resident of another intermediate district at the time the pupil came under the jurisdiction of the court or state agency.
- Pupils who are residents of institutions operated by the department of community health.
- Pupils placed in a district by a parent for the purposes of a suitable home.
For complete details see the documents on this page. Please contact Program Finance at 517-241-1235 for a copy of the 53a Classroom or Transportation Aide Application for School Year 2016-17.
- Memorandum on the Validation of Section 53a Pupils for the October 2016 Pupil Count Date
- Criteria and Procedures for Determining Eligibility for Counting Pupils for Section 53a Funding
- Department of Community Health Institutions for Developmentally Disabled, Section 53a
- New Section 53a Pupils for October 2016
- Worksheets A & B (updated September 2016)