The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
The Every Student Succeed Act (ESSA) is the nation’s education law, a manifestation of the federal commitment to equal opportunity for all students. In 2015, ESSA was signed into law to reauthorize the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) and to replace the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB). Section 1111 [20 U.S.C. 6311] of ESSA (Page 15) requires states to develop comprehensive plans to address various aspects of ESSA. Michigan’s original ESSA Plan was submitted to and approved by the U.S. Department of Education (USED) in November 2017.
- Michigan's 1% Cap Waiver Extension Request for 2023-24 is seeking public comment on Michigan's draft request for a waiver extension to exceed the 1% cap on participation on MI-Access. This waiver extension request includes continued plans to continue reducing the number and percent of students who take MI-Access and is allowable under ESSA. Public comment is open from Thursday, November 16 to Saturday, December 16 (11:59 p.m.), 2023.
- October 25, 2023, USED approved Michigan's Statewide Accountability System and School Support and Improvement Activities amendment to Title I, Part A, Section 4 of Michigan's ESSA Plan.
- Michigan's Current ESSA Plan (October 2023)
- Secretary Determination Letter for Amendments to Title I, Part A, Section 4 Submitted 8-11-2023 (October 2023)
- MDE Submission Letter to USED for Amendments to Title I, Part A Section 4 Submitted 8-11-2023 (August 2023)
- Secretary Determination Letter for Amendments to Title I, Part A Submitted 2-3-2020 (September 2022)
- Secretary Determination Letter for Amendments to Title I, Part A Submitted 12-7-2017 (December 2017)
- Michigan's Original ESSA Plan (November 2017)
- Secretary Determination Letter Approving Michigan's Original Consolidated State Plan 11-28-2017 (November 2017)
- Proposed Michigan's 1% Cap Waiver Extension Request out for public comment 11-16 to12-16-2023
- Michigan's ESSA Title I, Part A, Section 4 Amendments approved 10-25-2023
- Proposed ESSA Title I, Part A, Section 4 Amendments filed with USED 8-11-2023
- Proposed ESSA Title I, Part A, Section 4 Amendments out for public comment 6-22 to 7-22-2023
- Michigan's ESSA Plan approved 11-28-2017