The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
HIV/STD & Sexuality Education
HIV/STD & Sexuality Education
Welcome to the HIV/STD and Sexuality Education page!
HIV/STD prevention and sexuality education supports positive physical and mental health of youth as they grow into young adults. Schools play an important role in HIV/STD prevention and sexuality education for youth and healthy lifestyles. Here you will find a collection of valuable resources for schools, teachers, administrators, and others involved in sexuality and HIV/STD prevention education.
Sexual Health Initiative for Transformation
HIV/AIDS Content Notice: This site contains HIV prevention messages that may not be appropriate for all audiences. HIV prevention materials funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) must be approved by state and local review panels. Information or materials included on this site may be considered controversial by some viewers.
Inclusion of links to other websites is provided for informational purposes and is not an endorsement of specific organizations or materials. The developers of this website are not responsible for the content and accuracy of information or links on other websites.
Law and Policy
- Reminder of Legal Obligations and Best Practices for HIV and Sex Education HIV and Sex Education Memorandum (michigan.gov)
- Unabridged Laws Pertaining to HIV and Sex Education in Michigan Schools
- A Summary of Legal Obligations and Best Practices
- State Board of Education Policy to Promote Health and Prevent Disease and Pregnancy
- Bloodborne Pathogens and School Employees - new page
Advisory Boards and Parent Resources
- Request for Approval of Sex Education Supervisor Form
- Sex Education Program Leadership Functions and Responsibilities
- Sex Education Advisory Boards Commonly Asked Questions
- Sample Sex Education Advisory Board Application
- Sample Charge to Advisory Board
- Sample Sex Education Advisory Board By-Laws
- Recommendations for Public Hearings
Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- K-8 GLCEs for Health Education and Michigan Merit Curriculum for Health and Physical Education
Summary of GLCEs and Michigan Merit Credit Guidelines Pertaining to Reproductive Health and HIV Education
K-8 Grade Level Content Expectations for Health Education
Michigan Merit Curriculum Health and Physical Education for Grades 9-12
- Successful Virtual Sex Education
- Sample Guidelines for Guest Speakers
Qualified Teachers and Professional Development
Statistics and Reports
Related State of Michigan Programs
- Coordinated School Health and Safety Programs, MDE
- Michigan School Safety, MDE
- Mental Health in Schools, MDE
- Health Education, MDE
- Michigan Abstinence Program, MDCH
- HIV, STD, and Hepatitis, MDCH
- Family Planning Program, MDCH
- Safe Delivery, MDHHSHIV/STD & Sexuality Education