The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Civil Rights Movement Resources: February 2023
Citations for Resources:
- Achenbach, Joel. “Study Finds Africans have world’s highest genetic diversity” (p. A04). The Washington Post, 1 May 2009.
- "African American Lives." Produced & Directed by Henry L. Gates, Jr. Washington, DC: PBS, February 2006.
- Bagwell, O. (Director). "Malcolm X: Make it Plain." WGBH Boston and Blackside, Inc, 1994.
- Breitman, George. The Last Year of Malcolm X: The Evolution of a Revolutionary. New York: Pathfinder, 1967.
- Clark, Steve. ed. The Final Speeches: Malcom X. New York: Pathfinder, 1992.
- Cooper, Anthony J, ed. The Black Experience 1865–1978: A Documentary Reader. Dartfort: Greenwich University Press, 1995.
- Franklin, John H., & Moss, Jr., Alfred A. From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans. 1947. New York: McGrow Hill, 1994.
- Goldstone, Lawrence. Inherently unequal: The betrayal of equal rights by the supreme court, 1865–1903. New York: Walker &
- Karenga, Maulana. Introduction to Black Studies. 1982. Los Angeles: University of Sankore Press, 2002.
- Karenga, Maulana. Kawaida Theory: An Introductory Outline. Inglewood, Calif.: Kawaida Publications, 1980.
- King, Jr., Martin. “I Have a Dream.” NPR: Read Martin Luther King Jr.'s 'I Have a Dream' speech in its entirety.
- King, Jr., Martin. “Letter from Birmingham Jail.” Bill of Rights Institute, April 16, 1963.
- King, Jr., Martin. Strength to Love. Boston: Beacon Press, 1963.
- King, Jr., Martin. "New Phase of Civil Rights Struggle." YouTube, uploaded by NBC News 4 April 2018.
- Mullane, Deirdre, ed. Crossing the danger water: Three hundred years of African American writing. New York: Doubleday, 1993.
- Okafor, Victor. Towards An Understanding of Africology. Dubuque: Kendall/Hunt, 2021.
- Perry, Huey L., and Parent, Wayne, Eds. Blacks and the American Political System. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1995.
- Piliawsky, Monte. “Sixties student activists: Comparison of the life cycle political socialization of African American and white
radicals.” Studies in African American Leadership: Individuals, Movements, and Committees. Eds. Victor Okafor, and Tunde Adeleke. Lewiston: Edwin Mellen Press, 2006: 21–40.
- Reuter, Theodore. The Politics of Race: African Americans and the Political System. New York: M.E. Sharpe, 1995.
- Smedley, Audrey. Race in North America: Origin and Evolution of a Worldview. Boulder: Westview Press, 2007.
- Wilson, Christopher. “The Moment When Four Students Sat Down to Take a Stand.” Smithsonian MAGAZINE. Jan 2020.