The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Equal Rights Movement Resources: March 2023
- Farah Jasmine Griffin, Who Set You Flowin’? the African-American Migration Narrative. Oxford University Press, U.S.A., 1995.
- Isabel Wilkerson, The Warmth of Other Suns, The epic Story of America’s Great Migration, Penguin Random House, 2011.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census, Negroes in the United States, 1920-1932 (Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1935), p. 55.
- “The Atlas of African-American History and Politics,” Rutgers Cartography 2005, Map by Michael Siegel
- Jacob Lawrence: The Migration Series
- The Green Book, Guide to Freedom
- Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service: The Negro Motorist Green Book
- Library of Congress: The Negro Motorist Green Book
- James W. Loewen, Sundown Towns, A Hidden Dimension of American Racism, The New Press, 2018.
- Digital Public Library of America: The Great Migration
- The Great Migration in Library of Congress Primary Sources, Library of Congress Blogs.
- Great Migration: The African Americans, PBS.
- Zinn Education Project. Theme: African American.
- Lovecraft Country - Episode 1 Clip | HBO | HBO Max
- Ida B. Wells-Barnett, Southern Horrors: Lynch Law In All Its Phases (1892); The Red Record, 1892-1894 (1895)
- Supporter of the Anti-Lynching Bill / Dyer Act (NAACP, 1910s /1920s)
- Justice for Victims of Lynching Act / Emmett Till Anti-Lynching Act, 2022