The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Homeland Security Grant Program
The Homeland Security Grant Program (HSGP) plays an important role in the implementation of the National Preparedness System by supporting the building, sustainment, and delivery of core capabilities essential to achieving the National Preparedness Goal of a secure and resilient nation.
The HSGP is comprised of three grant programs:
- State Homeland Security Program (SHSP)
- The SHSP supports state, local, tribal, and territorial preparedness activities that address high priority preparedness gaps across all core capabilities that support terrorism preparedness.
- Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI)
- The UASI Program assists high-threat, high-density Urban Areas in efforts to build, sustain, and deliver the capabilities necessary to prevent, protect against, mitigate, respond to, and recover from acts of terrorism.
- Operation Stonegarden (OPSG)
- OPSG supports enhanced cooperation and coordination among Customs and Border Protection (CBP), United States Border Patrol (USBP), and federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial law enforcement agencies. OPSG provides funding to support joint efforts to secure the United States' borders along routes of ingress from international borders to include travel corridors in states bordering Mexico and Canada as well as states and territories with international water borders.
Together, these grant programs fund a range of preparedness activities, including planning, organization, equipment purchases, training, and exercise across all core capabilities and mission areas.
HSGP Useful Links
- FEMA National Preparedness Goal
- FEMA National Preparedness System
- DHS Laws & Regulations
- FEMA Grants
- FEMA Authorized Equipment List
- FEMA Homeland Security Grant Program
Guidance and Resources
- FY 2020 HSGP Supplemental Guidance - Guidance that provides supplemental information regarding the administration of the HSGP.
- FY 2019 Operation Stonegarden (OPSG) Michigan Supplemental Guidance - Guidance that provides supplemental information regarding the administration of the OPSG.
- Personnel Activity Reporting Guidelines
- Solution Area Planner Position Description
- FEMA Preparedness Grants Manual - FEMA developed Manual that provides additional direction on grant policy and implementation across various grants.
- List of Grants Awarded by MSP-EMHSD since FY 2006 - MSP/EMHSD preparedness grants subawards since Fiscal Year 2006.
- Equipment Tracking Template (Excel)
- Equipment Definitions