Skip to main content


Tent in front of Big Bear Lake at night
Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy


Part 125 of Michigan's Public Health Code, 1978 PA 368, as amended, and its administrative rules, establish the requirements for constructing, modifying, licensing, and operating a campground. A license from the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy is required to operate a campground offering five or more campsites/recreational units in the State of Michigan.

Contact Information

Sarah Rottiers

Map: Campground Staff Area Assignments

looking up from the root of a large tree


The Campground Inspection Report is a duplicate form and cannot be downloaded. Local Health Departments should email the EGLE Campground Program Administrator to request more forms.

yellow and white flowers

Temporary Campgrounds

The Temporary Campground License Application is a triplicate form and cannot be downloaded. Please contact/visit the Local Health Department to obtain an application and to discuss your event.



The EGLE Campgrounds Program began using a new IT system September 14, 2020 called the Michigan Environmental Health and Drinking Water Information System (MiEHDWIS), nicknamed Eddy. This new, easy-to-use system allows for better communication and more efficient processes for licensed campgrounds. Current functionality allows external users to create an account and directly upload documents such as applications, engineered construction plans, and other supporting information from campground owners or inspection reports from Local Health Department staff. Additional functionality will be released in the future. Campground owners should continue communicating directly with local health departments regarding water supplies and field-related work. To learn more about MiEHDWIS and how to create an account, please visit

Michigan Environmental Health and Drinking Water Information System (MiEHDWIS)