Please use the links provided below to view Michigan school accountability system reports, related resources, and supports.
Michigan's school accountability systems use statewide student assessment scores and other quality metrics to provide transparency on school performance for all Michigan public schools. School accoutability systems help parents, communities, and policymakers measure school quality to make decisions and target resources to help students achieve. Michigan has multiple accountability systems for its public schools, each provided and detailed in the links below, that provide important information for different purposes and to different audiences.
- Updates for Spring 2021 Students Not Tested
- School Accountability Office Hours: April 2021 Updates Video Presentation
- Overview of Michigan's Approved Accountability Waiver for the 2020-21 School Year
Following the actions taken by the US Department of Education on Michigan's waivers, this document provides clarifications on Michigan's assessment and accountability requirements for the 2020-21 school year.
- Michigan Receives Federal Waiver to School Accountability Requirements for 2020-2021
The federal requirements for school accountability in Michigan have been waived for the 2020-21 school year due to the disruption of instruction caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Michigan Denied Request to Waive Federal Requirement to Administer State Summative Assessments in Spring 2021
The federal requirement to administer state summative asssessments in Michigan for Spring 2021 have not been waived despite the disruption of instruction caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Michigan School Accountability COVID-19 Update/FAQ
COVID-19 updates and information related to Michigan school accountability; updated 4/7/2021.
- Spotlight on Student Assessment and Accountability
View archives of the weekly Assessment and Accountability newsletter or subscribe at www.mi.gov/mde-spotlight.
- Subscribe to Accountability and other MDE Mailing Lists
- Michigan Parent Dashboard
The Parent Dashboard for School Transparency provides a complete picture of more than 20 different factors that parents say are important to them about Michigan public schools. Families can use the Dashboard to compare a school’s performance with the performance of other similar Michigan schools.
- Michigan School Index
The Michigan School Index System provides an overall index value ranging from 0-100 for each school based on: student growth, proficiency, graduation rates, English learner progress, attendance rates, advanced coursework completion, postsecondary enrollment, and staffing ratios.
- Michigan School Grades
The Michigan School Grades System annually assigns each public school in Michigan letter grades and ranking labels, based on the school's performance in up to eight areas.
- Annual Education Report (AER)
The Annual Education Report (AER) provides detailed information on teacher quality, student assessment and accountability, and other educational information for schools, districts, and the state in one convenient place.
- At-Risk Students (31a)
Section 31a of the State School Aid Act provides categorical funding to schools for the intent and purposes focused on the following student outcomes: attending school regularly, reading proficiently by the end of 3rd grade, being proficient in mathematics by the end of 8th grade, and being career and college ready by high school graduation.
- National Blue Ribbon Schools
The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program recognizes public and private elementary, middle, and high schools based on their overall academic excellence or their progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups.
- Student Growth in School Accountability
- School Improvement Supports for Accountability
Fact sheets, school lists, and technical assistance information on schools identified by Michigan school accountability systems for Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CSI), Additional Targeted Support (ATS), and Targeted Support and Improvement (TSI).
- English Learners (ELs) in School Accountability
- Accountability Data Reporting Best Practices
Data reporting guide for trouble-free accountability; updated 11/16/2020.
- Sending Scores Back Program for Shared Educational Entities
- 2020-21 Full Academic Year (FAY) Business Rules
- Public Guide to the Michigan's Accountability System
- Guiding Principles for School Accountability
- Evaluation of Michigan School Index Results
A whitepaper on policy considerations and long-term educational goals based on recent Michigan School Index System results; new 7/18/2019.
- MI School Data
MI School Data is the State of Michigan's official public portal for education data, offering multiple levels and views presented in graphs, charts, trend lines, and downloadable spreadsheets to support meaningful evaluation and decision making.
- Michigan Education Research Institute (MERI)
All information pertinent to requesting Michigan education data sets for audits, evaluations, and studies of education programs in Michigan are available through MERI (www.miedresearch.org), the State of Michigan's research partnership with the University of Michigan and Michigan State University.
- Historical School Accountability Results and Data
Historical school accountability data and results provided back to 2001-02, including Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP), Annual Measurable Achievement Objectives (AMAOs), Top-to-Bottom Rankings (TTB), Scorecards, and more.