Skip to main content

7.05.07: Adjusting DTL2 records - overview

7.05.07: Adjusting DTL2 records - overview

To correct a member record that has already been submitted and posted to ORS, or to add a missing record (i.e. an employee that was left off your report), you must submit an adjustment record. Use the adjustment wage code (positive or negative) that corresponds to the wage code on the original record. Review these general guidelines for adjusting DTL2 records, then see section 7.05.08: Adjusting wages or hours on a DTL2 record for instructions.

A DTL2 adjustment record will not post until it has passed the edits and validations in the batch process. When adding to or subtracting from previously posted wages (as opposed to adding wages that were never previously posted) our system will take into account wage codes, class codes, pay period begin and end dates and pay rates on the adjustment record as compared to the original posted wages.

We strongly suggest that you use the View Employee Info link on the Things To Do menu to verify what was posted to the member account for the specific pay period to be adjusted. This link shows exactly what is posted at ORS and it may not match your in-house records. You can see wage codes, class codes, begin and end dates, wages and hours. This information may help you determine the correct codes to use on your adjustment records to successfully post the adjustment. Information on the adjustment records that does not match or correspond with posted data could lead to suspended DTL2 records.

Note: Make adjustments to prior pay periods on your most current unposted payroll report with an end date later than the end date of the records to be adjusted. Any employer and employee contribution payment required because of a positive adjustment record is due on the same date as payment for the report on which the adjustment appears.

The following table summarizes wage codes and their corresponding adjustment codes. For more detailed information about these and other wage codes, see section 13.02.02: Detail 2 records - wage codes.

Wage code used on original record

Positive adjustments

Negative adjustments

01 - Regular Wages



04 - Retroactive Wages
(No longer valid - do not use)



07 - Retiree Wages



08 - Summer Spread Wages



09 - Wages Without Hours



11 - Coaches Wages




Information and tips for adjusting wages or hours:

  • You can adjust only wages, only hours, or both for a specific pay period on an adjustment DTL2 record.
  • You can make adjustments only for prior pay periods. In other words, an adjustment DTL2 record cannot have the same payroll begin and end dates as the payroll report on which the adjustment record appears.
  • You must add one adjustment DTL2 record for each pay period that needs an adjustment. You cannot make adjustments on one record as a lump sum for wages and /or hours if the wages and hours in question were originally reported on separate records each pay period.
  • ORS will calculate a pay rate for each adjustment record. The system looks at the originally posted wages, add or subtract the wage and/or hour amounts on the adjustment record, divide the new total amount of wages by the new total amount of hours and use the result as the rate of pay. If your adjustment record includes a pay rate not equal to or within the allotted tolerance, the record will suspend.
    • A positive adjustment record without a pay rate will suspend.
    • A negative adjustment record without a pay rate will not automatically suspend, but if it does not include a pay rate and the newly calculated pay rate does not match the rate of pay on file at ORS, the record will suspend.
  • To add hours to wages posted incorrectly without hours using wage code 08 - Summer Spread or wage code 09 - Wages Without Hours, is a two-step process. First, subtract the posted wages using wage code 86 - Summer Spread Negative Adjustment or wage code 16 - Wages Without Hours Negative Adjustment. Next, add a positive adjustment record using wage code 05 - Regular Wages Positive Adjustment to add both wages and hours. You must include the pay rate on the positive adjustment record.
  • For any adjustments, you must use the adjustment wage code that corresponds to the wage code used to post the original record. See table above.
  • Never add an adjustment DTL2 record to make adjustments to defined benefit employee or employer contributions. ORS calculates the correct contribution amounts for each DTL2 record and will always post that amount to the member or employer account.  Any under- or over- withholding issues must be reconciled at your reporting unit. See section 7.01.09: Saving Download Detail reports.
  • If you need to adjust wages or hours for records dated prior to Oct. 1, 2002, the adjustment cannot be done on a payroll report. Complete a Request for Adjusting Records Prior to October 1, 2002 (R3489C) and send it to ORS. We will make the adjustments for you.
  • At one time, retroactive wage records allowed reporting units to correct existing wage records for a contract settlement for an entire group of employees. Public Act 54 of 2011 prohibits the payments of retroactive wages for labor contracts that have expired. As a result, ORS no longer expects employers to report retroactive pay for settled contracts after June 8, 2011. You may be required to adjust previous records (submitted before June8, 2011) that were reported as retroactive wages. The wage codes for making adjustments retroactive wages are:
    • Wage code 45 - Retroactive Wages Positive Adjustment
    • Wage code 46 - Retroactive Wages Negative Adjustment

Last updated: 05/30/2017