The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Apply for a Penalty Reduction Agreement
What Is it?
What It Is Not?
- It is NOT an agreement to change the number of citations issued, the rule cited, the description of violation, the classification, or abatement date.
- IMPORTANT:To request MIOSHA make any of these types of changes to your citations with a penalty reduction, you must file an appeal or petition to modify abatement (PMA). For information about how to file an appeal or PMA, click on this link: MIOSHA Enforcement & Appeals Overview Brochure
- A PRA does NOT stop, extend, or delay the 15-working day appeal period.
- IMPORTANT: The 15-working day appeal period began to run the date the company received the citation packet in the mail. A PRA must be submitted and approved by MIOSHA BEFORE 5:00 p.m. on the 15th working day.
TIP: If your 15-working day period ends in less than 5 days, we recommend you file an appeal to preserve your ability to seek a penalty reduction. For information about how to file an appeal, contact General Industry Safety & Health Division (GISHD) at 517-284-7750, Construction Safety & Health Division (CSHD) at 517-284-7680, or click on this link: MIOSHA Enforcement & Appeals Overview Brochure.
Who is Eligible?
All Investigations except:
- Investigations resulting from a fatality
- Investigations containing a willful citation
- Investigations qualifying for the Severe Violator Enforcement Program (SVEP)
- Unabated Construction Division Investigations
How Can You Obtain a PRA?
With your citation packet available, click the "Apply" link below and follow these simple steps:
- Take the PRA Eligibility Assessment Tool to determine your eligibility.
- Fill-in the Online PRA Application Tool (available 24/7; requires information contained in the citation package received).
- Read, Sign, and Submit the PRA (pending approval).
- MIOSHA will review the PRA, confirm eligibility and timeliness, and approve eligible PRAs.
- MIOSHA will send an email confirming Approval/Denial of the PRA (three business days). To ensure uninterrupted delivery of PRA system emails, please add MIOSHA-PRA@mihealth.org to your address book.
Need assistance? Frequently Asked Questions or contact the PRA Coordinator at GISHD: 517-284-7750 or CSHD: 517-284-7680.