Milk Transportation Company / Tank Truck / Can Milk Truck Details & FAQ

Who needs a license?

Anyone who owns a bulk milk tank truck is required to be a Milk Transportation Company and get a license for each individual milk tank truck.

You are a Can Milk Transportation Company if you pick up milk cans and deliver them to a dairy plant, receiving station or transfers station.

What fees are required? How long is the license good for? Is it pro-rated?

The Milk Transportation Companies are required to pay a $50 fee and an additional $20 per milk tank truck.

There is no fee for a can milk transportation company; there is a $20 fee for each can milk truck.

This license is not pro-rated.

How do I apply for a license?

An individual should apply for a license by using the application form DY-305.

Are there any special requirements to obtain a license?

Yes. An inspection is required.

Who do I contact for an inspection?

An individual who is interested in being licensed as a milk transportation company should contact the Lansing office at 800-292-3939.

Procedures for licensing Milk Transportation Companies and Milk Tank Trucks in accordance with the
Grade "A" Milk Law of 2001

There are several steps to licensing a Milk Transportation Company / Milk Tank Truck:

  • If operating a self-owned truck, a milk transportation company license is required which entails a $50 fee and completion of form DY-305.
  • For further information, take a look at DY-301 (New Grade A Hauler Application), DY-304 (Grade A Renewal Form), and DY-356. These may or may not apply to your specific situation.
  • Requests for additional information can be made by email to

Grade "A" Pasteurized Milk Ordinance of 2007
Appendix B - Milk Sampling, Hauling and Transportation

Procedures for licensing a Can Milk Truck as per the Manufacturing Milk Law of 2001

To license a Can Milk Truck:

  • Complete form DY-305 and mail it to the address at the top of the form.
  • Include a check to cover the $20 fee.
  • An inspection will follow.
  • Review the Milk Can Truck inspection form DY-357, .
  • Requests for additional information can be made by email to

Manufacturing Milk Law of 2001