Upcoming W&M Serviceperson Examination Schedule
The state is taking proactive steps to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in Michigan. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in reducing the coronavirus risk to Michigan residents. For current and up-to-date information regarding the Coronavirus visit Michigan.gov/Coronavirus or CDC.gov/Coronavirus.
Procedure for Onsite Service Registration Program Examinations; Effective July 6, 2020
- Testing will be limited to one 8-person group per day. All applicants shall always wear a mask, including prior to entry (PPE will not be provided). Doors will open at 8am and testing will begin promptly after prescreening and temperature checks. Testing will end at 2:30pm, with one hour for lunch (11:30am to 12:30pm).
- A mask shall always be worn during testing. Applicants must have a backup mask in case of a failure (e.g. broken earpiece, etc.). Note: Those unable to wear a mask due to a medical condition will be required to submit physician's documentation stating the same.
- Temperatures will be taken via non-contact thermometer and screening questions will be asked prior to entry. Participants will be excluded if a fever above 100.4 ° F is observed or any "yes" response to the screening questions. The risk of failing the entry process is born solely by the participant.
- Due to the time limitations, applicants will need to prioritize what tests are most important for their company. Act 283 and Handbook 44 are required exams taken before any device specific exams (unless already passed).
- Exams will be graded as is at 11:30am and 2:30pm. You may not leave the room if you have an exam.
- Entry/exit will be through an area that limits contact with building staff. Entry to other parts of the building are prohibited. Social distancing will be practiced upon entering and exiting the building.
- Due to prohibited areas and limiting contact with staff, smoking breaks will not be permitted.
- Conference restroom (only) will be available for use and will be thoroughly cleaned following testing.
- Participants must bring their own writing instruments and no items are to be shared with others.
- Act 283, NIST Handbook 44 and a calculator will be provided.
- Examination seating will be assigned.
- Power-point presentation prior to testing will be eliminated to maximize the available testing time. Please see Michigan.gov/WMInfo for more information
The following tests are scheduled for each of the following sessions
- September 22, 2022
- October 4, 5, and 6, 2022
- November 1, 2, and 3, 2022
- December 6, 7, and 8, 2022
Categories Available for Examination:
- Agri. Chemical
- Belt-Conveyor Scales
- High Flow Retail Meters
- Livestock Scales
- Loading Rack Meters
- L.P. Gas Meters
- Mass Flow Meters
- Medium Capacity Scales
- Multiple Dimension Measuring Device
- NIST Handbook 44
- P.A. 283, MI Weights & Measures Law
- Railway Track Scales
- Retail Computing Scales
- Retail Motor Fuel Dispensers
- Vehicle Scales
- Vehicle Tank Meters (Other than LPG)
You must pre-register for the exams you wish to take.
E. C. Heffron Metrology Laboratory
940 Venture Lane
Williamston, Michigan 48895
- Complete and mail in the Serviceperson Registration Application (including either the $300 agency fee or $100 person fee or both if you are a single serviceperson agency).
- Pre-register for the examination using the Examination Registration Form.
- Copies of the handbook will be provided on-site. Pens or pencils will not be provided.
- Thoroughly review all applicable materials (including all Weights and Measures Advisories found on this website).
- Exam administrators are not permitted to discus questions, answers, or direct applicants in any manner.
- 8:00 a.m.: Check-in begins; Exam begins immediately following Check-in
- Lunch 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- 2:30 p.m.: Testing Concludes
- The exam will be graded immediately after being completed (80% or better answered correctly to pass). Only one retake will be allowed per fee submission.
- A picture will be taken which will be transferred onto a personal wallet sized Michigan Serviceperson Identification Card
- Please return the Examination Registration Form with your completed application and fee(s) as soon as possible, as seating is limited.
- The test registration form will NOT be processed until after a completed Serviceperson Registration Form has been received.
NOTE: It is strongly encouraged to review all information on the "Service Person Registration" and the applicable "Weights and Measures Advisories" on this website.
We appreciate your cooperation in voluntarily applying to become a Registered Serviceperson in the State of Michigan.