Skip to main content

Livestock Dealer

  • Expires: Yearly on September 30th
  • Contact: Animal Industry Division at 800-292-3939
  • Registration Types and Fees:
  • Auction (Class I): $400 - An auction is a facility where livestock are brought to be consigned and sold by auction.
  • Buying Station (Class II): $250 - A buying station is a facility where livestock are brought and purchased by the facility owner for the purpose of movement or re-sale.
  • Dealer (Class III): $50* - A dealer is a person who is in the business of purchasing livestock to re-sell them within 21 days.
  • Agent/Broker (Class III): $50* - An agent broker is a person who is in the business of negotiating livestock sales and/or transportation.
  • Collection Point (Class III): $50* - A collection point is a location where livestock are brought without a change in ownership for the purpose of transfer and movement.
  • Trucker (Class IV): $25* - A trucker is a person who is in business of transporting livestock for others at least six times per year.

    *Class III and IV license fees are waived for honorably discharged U.S. veterans when a copy of their DD214 is submitted with the completed application.

    4-H and breed organizations are exempt from licensing. Contact MDARD's Livestock Markets Program for additional exemptions.

    "Livestock" includes aquaculture species, bison, cattle, equine, farmed deer, goats, ostriches and other ratites, poultry, sheep, and swine.

Applying for a License

  1. Request a new livestock licensing application from MDARD at 800-292-3939 or click here for the PDF. Review the instructions for the application (found on pages 3-6 when viewing the PDF) before completing; and if there are any questions, contact MDARD's Livestock Markets Program.
  2. Mail your completed application, along with payment for any fees, to the address provided on the form.
  3. Once your application has been fully processed, your license and trailer stickers will be mailed to you and you may begin conducting business.
Licenses must be renewed annually prior to the expiration date of September 30th. Renewal license applications received after the expiration date may be subject to a late fee. A renewal license application will be sent to your business mailing address each year in August.


Classes I, II, and III may also need a federal license. For more information, contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Packers and Stockyards Program at 515-323-2579.
Classes operating a commercial motor vehicle may also need a USDOT number. For more information, contact the Michigan State Police (MSP) Motor Carrier Division at 517-284-3250.

Fillable Livestock Dealer License Application 
Hauling and Marketing Animals in Michigan Brochure
Directory of Livestock Markets and Dealers
Livestock Dealer Laws


MDARD inspections, what to expect

  1. Animal sale/movement records check
  2. Facilities, trailers, and equipment inspection
  3. Biosecurity practices review
  4. Animal handling procedures discussion


During an animal health emergency, complete and accurate records allow officials to trace animal movements and quickly minimize the impact to fellow farmers and the food supply.

All records must be kept 5 years and must include the following:

Animal's description (species, breed, age, or type, and gender)

Date and source (full name and address from where the animal was acquired)

Copies of all required tests, movement certificates and permits

Date and delivery location (full name and address of where the animal was delivered to)Requirements for intrastate, interstate and international movement of livestock can be found at

Records for Classes I and II must also include the following:
  • Official identification number or USDA-approved backtag number of each animal
  • If sold by weight, official weight of each animal


You can protect your business by practicing good biosecurity and minimizing the spread and impact of a disease. By implementing the following practices, you can enhance your business' biosecurity.

  • Clean and disinfect your equipment regularly
  • Schedule regular cleanings
  • Use appropriate disinfectants
  • Avoid driving through sloppy areas, when possible
  • If you have livestock at home, keep your equipment separate and change your clothes
Classes I and II should also:
  • Regularly clean barns and pens
  • Prevent staff from entering producers' trailers
  • Have designated parking for trucks/trailers

Remember: People can move diseases around. It's important to wash your hands and disinfect your boots.