Skip to main content

Food Establishment Licensing General Information

Who needs a license to sell food?
A food establishment license is required in almost all instances where food is commercially handled or served to the general public.

List of Food License Exemptions - Does your business qualify?
Some firms do not require a food establishment license but are still subject to inspection by MDARD or local agencies.

Country of Origin Labeling: What Businesses Need to Know
Read about important changes to the federal Country of Origin Labeling requirements that may affect you and your business.

Food Establishment Licensing Guide: Determine which agency to contact
Who Should I Contact?

New Business Info

Food Establishment Licensing Details, FAQ, and Step-by-Step Guide

Do I Need a Plan Review?
Some establishments may be required to submit plans and specifications to the licensing agency.

Michigan Food Establishment License Application
This application form applies to food establishments licensed by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development. For more information as to where particular establishments are licensed, see the article, "Determine Which Agency to Contact".

License Type Guide with Associated Fees

License Expiration Dates

Other Considerations
Change of Ownership, Fair Licensing and STFUs

Licensed Under Other Acts

Other Agencies