Skip to main content

Aquifer Protection and Dispute Resolution Program

The Aquifer Protection and Dispute Resolution program can help well owners file complaints with the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) if their well fails to produce its normal water supply or to provide potable water.

A well owner must have a reason to believe that their well problem is caused by an agricultural high capacity well.

A high capacity well is one or more wells associated with industrial or processing facilities, irrigation facilities, farms, or public water supply systems that are capable of pumping 100,000 gallons of groundwater per day (70 gallons per minute or greater).

How to File a Complaint

  1. Before you file a groundwater dispute complaint, be sure that your well problem is not due to a mechanical malfunction.
  2. Contact a Michigan registered well driller to verify that your well and pump are functioning properly and that your well is dry due to the lowering of the water table.
  3. Have the registered well driller, not a pump installer, fill out the Water Supply Assessment Form.
  4. Submit the Groundwater Dispute Complaint Form and include the Water Supply Assessment Form. Both of these forms are required for a complaint to be considered complete for investigation.

For more information, questions and where to find the above forms visit or call 800-662-9278.

Complaint Resolution

If it is determined that a high capacity well may have impacted your water supply, MDARD will investigate. As a result, you could receive financial assistance from the high capacity well owner(s) to restore your potable water supply.

If MDARD is not able to resolve a valid groundwater dispute, the Director of MDARD has the authority to declare a groundwater dispute and order the high capacity well to stop using the withdrawal until a resolution is reached.

For more information about the complaint process visit

2022 Aquifer Dispute Annual Report