Reporting Feed Tonnage
Every licensee must submit tonnage reports and tonnage-based inspection fees once a year. Licensees will file one annual report for July 1 - June 30 each July.
- Licensees use this Feed Tonnage Form to file Feed Tonnage reports covering July 1 - June 30 annually.
- $0.30/ton and $0.15/ton for wet byproducts > 60% moisture
- The inspection Fee is $0.15 per ton on feed ingredients that are by-products of manufacturing processes and have a moisture content equal to or greater than 60%
- All reports have a $50 minimum inspection fee (includes zero reports). For example, any licensee that manufactures/distributes 166 tons or less of feed pays $50, and any licensee that manufactures/distributes 167 tons or more of feed pays $0.30 per ton (i.e., 167 tons x $0.30 = $50.10)
- Licensees file one annual report for July 1 - June 30 each July
Inspection fees are used to help pay for the commercial feed inspection and sampling activities of the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD). MDARD routinely inspects manufacturers and distributors of animal feeds for compliance with labeling, sanitation, and other requirements that protect consumers and enable fair competition. The MDARD Inspection staff also collects commercial feed samples that are tested for nutrients or animal drugs guaranteed on labels.
The inspection fees assessed to commercial feed manufacturers and distributors in Michigan are based on the quantity of feed distributed, rather than the number of products in a company's line. Once a year, every licensee must pay the Department an inspection fee of $0.30/ton and $0.15/ton for wet byproducts > 60% moisture. The fee is levied on each ton of commercial feed manufactured/distributed in this state. The inspection fee and statement of commercial feeds manufactured/distributed in Michigan must be reported on a form provided by MDARD.
File annually, by the last day of July, a statement stating the number of tons of commercial feed distributed in this state during the preceding July 1 to June 30 period. The inspection fee and tonnage shall be reported on forms furnished or approved by the director. Refunds of less than $5.00 will not be processed unless requested in writing. For any report not filed with the department by the due date, a penalty of $50.00 or 10% of the amount due, whichever is greater, shall be assessed. The assessment of a penalty fee does not prevent the department from taking other actions as provided in this act.
License holders who have not received their reporting form by July 1st should immediately contact MDARD at 800-292-3939, or send an email to MDARD-Tonnage@michigan.gov.