The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Participants who are proficient in typing will learn and become able to utilize ZoomText, JAWS or Fusion to manage files and folders, engage in e-mail activities, browse the internet, and create, read, navigate, edit, and format a document. As a final project, participants will create a business and cover letter independently.
Overall Goal of Computer Skills Training:
To understand Windows basics and learn ZoomText, and JAWS or Fusion key commands along with MS shortcuts to become able to use File Explorer, Outlook/web mail, Internet Browser, and Word efficiently.
Introduction to Basic Computer Skills Skill List:
- Introduction to Desktop elements.
- Understanding the hierarchy of locations and folders in File Explorer
- Selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting items in File Explorer
- Creating blank folders
- Renaming and removing files and folders
- Sorting, filtering, and grouping items
- Saving and retrieving a file
- Safely removing a USB drive from the computer
- Managing tabs in the internet browser
- Browsing the internet
- Managing bookmarks and forms on the internet
- Creating, sending, receiving, replying, and forwarding e-mail messages
- Managing e-mail attachments
- Navigating and reading a document
- Navigating the Ribbon
- Creating and editing a document
- Formatting a document
- Checking spelling and grammar
- Using other proofreading tools
- Printing a document
- Creating a business letter
* Note: Skills training can be customized based on vocational goals and individual progress.