The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Fact Sheet 160 - Claiming Unemployment Benefits in Michigan
Filing for and Receiving Benefits
If you become unemployed, you may qualify for unemployment insurance benefits. These benefits are intended to provide temporary income as you seek new employment. To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must be unemployed and able to, available for, and actively seeking suitable full-time work.
Information Needed to File a Claim
- Your Social Security card.
- Your state issued driver's license or ID card number or your MARVIN PIN (if you have one).
- The names and addresses of employers you worked for during the past 18 months along with your quarterly gross earnings.
- The last date of employment with each employer.
- Your most recent employer's Federal Employer ID number (FEIN) (especially if you have not filed a claim within the last three years or have been employed for less than six months) and Employer Account Number (EAN). Depending on your situation, knowing the account number may speed up the processing of your claim.
- If you are not a U.S. citizen or national, you will need your Alien Registration card and the expiration date of your work authorization.
Register for Work
You must certify your eligibility every two weeks to receive payment. The preferred method of certifying is online, although phone certification is also available.
- Online: Visit www.michigan.gov/uia and sign into MILogin to access your MiWAM account. Your online account is accessible seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
- By Phone: Call MARVIN at 1-866-638-3993, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Searching For Work
You are required to actively seek work and report at least one weekly work search activity for each week during your bi-weekly certification in order to receive benefits. Your benefits will not be paid until your work search activities have been reported to UIA. More information is available online at Michigan.gov/UIA.
- Enter your work search activity in your MiWAM account at Michigan.gov/UIA or
- When you certify with the Michigan Automated Response Voice Interactive Network (MARVIN) by calling 1-866-638-3993. After completing the automated questions, you must stay on the line to be connected with a UIA agent to provide your work search information for each week. You must provide your work search activity for each week prior to benefits being released.
Two Ways to Receive Benefits, Choose Either:
- Debit card.
- Direct deposit to your bank account.
For More Information
Including a copy of UIA 1901, Unemployment Benefits in Michigan and forms, visit our website at www.michigan.gov/uia. If you have a question or problem with your claim, you can submit an inquiry or chat online through your MiWAM account or call 1-866-500-0017 Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Customers may schedule a telephone appointment, an in-person or a virtual appoinment online at michigan.gov/uia. For step by step instructions on creating a MiWAM account, view the MiWAM Toolkit for Claimants at Michigan.gov/uia.