Any movement, importing, or exporting of aquaculture species shall be in compliance with the Animal Industry Act (Public Act 466 of 1988, as amended), being sections 287.701 to 287.747 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
"Aquaculture species" means aquatic animal organisms including, but not limited to, fish, crustaceans, mollusks, reptiles, or amphibians reared or cultured under controlled conditions in an aquaculture facility.
- A person shall not import aquaculture into this state without one of the following issued by an accredited veterinarian:
- Official Interstate Health Certificate
- Official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection
- Fish Disease Inspection Report (may be signed by a certified fish health inspector)
- A person shall not import aquaculture from a hatchery or other facility with a record of an emergency fish disease within the past two years. These include, but are not limited to, Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia, Infectious Hematopotietic Necrosis, Cerataomyxosis, and Proliferative Kidney Disease.
- A person shall not import aquaculture exhibiting clinical signs of disease.
- A PRIOR ENTRY PERMIT shall be obtained before importing aquaculture species into the state. Issuance of a prior entry permit requires the following:
- Submission of an interstate health certificate, certificate of veterinary inspection, or a fish disease inspection report.
- Proof (test chart) of a negative test for Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS) according to a protocol approved by the USDA. (Exception: Tilapia, Lake Sturgeon, and Common Shiners do not require VHS testing)
Required documents shall be faxed, emailed, or otherwise submitted to the State Veterinarian's office and a prior entry permit issued PRIOR to importation. The prior entry permit number shall be recorded on the interstate health certificate, certificate of veterinary inspection, or fish disease inspection report and a copy shall accompany the shipment throughout transport.
A list of approved species for aquaculture production has been established. Only the aquaculture species on the approved list are allowed for purposes of aquaculture production. To obtain a prior entry permit, contact MDARD at 1-800-292-3939.