Skip to main content

Health Certificates

Certificates of Veterinary Inspection

An interstate certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI), commonly called a health certificate, is an official document certifying the animals listed on the certificate have been inspected and meet all federal and state movement regulations. A CVI can be completed electronically or on a paper form and is valid for 30 days from the examination date of the animal.

A CVI can only be issued by a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)-accredited veterinarian. Also, a veterinarian must have the proper category of accreditation (e.g., Category I or Category II) for the species on the CVI and be authorized by each state where they will perform accredited duties (i.e., USDA-accreditation is not automatically granted for all U.S. states, tribal nations, and territories). For more information on veterinary accreditation, see pages 11-15 in the Michigan Accredited Veterinarian Handbook.

In completing a CVI, the USDA-accredited veterinarian will examine animals to verify they appear free from signs of infectious or communicable disease and meet the destination state’s entry requirements regarding official identification, vaccinations, treatments, and disease testing. If animals meet these criteria and appropriate documentation is provided to verify the requirements, then a CVI can be issued.

Be sure to contact the state of destination for their entry requirements in advance (see Helpful Links for Animal Movement Requirements below). Michigan law also requires the following species to have official identification to leave their Michigan location, and official identification numbers should be documented on the CVI:

Electronic CVIs

Electronic certificates of veterinary inspection (eCVIs) can save time and money while offering better service to clients. The following eCVIs have met national standards, been approved by the National Assembly of State Animal Health Officials, and are available to Michigan’s accredited veterinarians:

No-Cost eCVIs:

Fee-Based CVIs:

*NOTEThe need for an import permit (also known as a prior entry permit) is waived by some states when an eCVI is issued. This advantage is not currently available with the MI-eCVI because it does not meet the national standards for an eCVI. VET-CVI, which does meet the national standards, will soon replace the MI-eCVI as a no-cost eCVI option for Michigan veterinarians.

Once VET-CVI becomes available, MDARD will discontinue offering MI-eCVI to new users, and current users will be notified of a timeline to phase out use of the MI-eCVI.  There will be ample time to get switched over during the transition period.

In the meantime, if you would still like to register to use MI-eCVI until VET-CVI becomes available, please complete the User Request Form (PDF) and email it to Also, please note that, unfortunately, MI-eCVI cannot be used by veterinarians with a National Accreditation Number (NAN) beginning with the digit “1” due to technical limitations of the form.

Paper CVIs

MDARD has paper CVIs available for interstate movement of all species, called the All-Species CVI. These forms come in triplicate and can be ordered in packages of 50.

CVIs are accountable property, and each unique certificate number is assigned to a specific accredited veterinarian. Forms cannot be shared between veterinarians even when working in the same clinic.

Veterinary staff ordering forms must have the veterinarian’s National Accreditation Number (NAN) to complete the order. The All-Species CVI can be ordered through MDARD’s automated call system at 517-284-5800 or by emailing a completed supply order form to

To help accredited veterinarians use the All-Species CVI, written instructions can be found on the back of each form and additional guidance is available on the handout “Ten Tips for Completing an All-Species Interstate CVI.

When the All-Species CVI has been completed and issued for animal movement, a copy must be submitted to MDARD within seven business days in one of the following methods:


Fax:      517-241-1560

Mail:    MDARD AID
              P.O. Box 30017
              Lansing, MI 48909

Pet Health Certificates

While the name is similar, pet health certificates are not the same as certificates of veterinary inspection (CVIs).

A pet health certificate must be received by customers whenever they purchase a dog, cat, or ferret from a pet shop or large-scale dog breeding kennel in Michigan. These certificates are valid for 30 days from the date the animal was examined and may only be issued by a Michigan-licensed veterinarian.

Unlike CVIs, pet health certificates are not accountable property, and veterinarians can download the pet health certificate form and instructions for use.

Please also note that if a customer is taking his/her purchased animal to a location outside of Michigan (e.g., the customer’s home is in Ohio), a CVI may be needed. Always check with the destination state for their entry requirements.

Helpful Links for Animal Movement Requirements

USDA APHIS International Regulations (IRegs)

USDA APHIS Pet Travel Website