Skip to main content

Dairy Hauler/Sampler

Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs a license? 

Anyone who picks up bulk milk at a dairy farm or samples milk at a dairy farm needs to be licensed. Also, anyone who samples their own milk or samples milk on behalf of a dairy producer is likewise required to be licensed. 

How do I complete the continued education training that is required once every licensing period?

A hauler/sampler must complete PMO required training at least once every 2-year licensing period. This training can be completed one of two ways:

  1. Attend an in-person training meeting. These meetings are usually held in the spring and fall at various locations around the state. Invitation letters are mailed to the hauler/sampler's address about 4-6 weeks before meetings take place.
  2. Complete the required training online. Just email and a member of the dairy staff will send you detailed instructions on how to sign-up and complete the training.

What fees are required?

There is a $50 fee.

How long is the license good for?

Licenses that are applied for on or before April 30th in any given year will be renewed with the hauler-sampler licenses in the current 2 year licensing cycle while licenses applied for on May 1st or later in any given year will renew with hauler / sampler licenses in the next 2 year licensing cycle. For example: If a hauler / sampler license is applied for on or before April 30th, 2022 the license will expire on June 30, 2023. If a hauler / sampler license is applied for on or after May 1st, 2022 it will expire on June 30, 2024.

Is the license pro-rated?

Licenses are not pro-rated.

How do I apply for a license?

An individual should apply for a license by calling the Customer Service Center, 800-292-3939.

Are there any special requirements to obtain a license? 

Yes. Both a written and practical exam are required to obtain this license. An inspection is also required. Study the Bulk Milk Hauler Training Manual and Training Exam DY-360 (PDF).

Who do I contact for an inspection and to take the exam? 

An individual who is interested in being licensed as a hauler/sampler or in-line sampler should contact the Customer Service Center, 800-292-3939.

Procedures for Certified Samplers/Bulk Milk Haulers in accordance with the Grade "A" Milk Law of 2001 (PDF)

There are several steps to becoming a licensed certified sampler/bulk milk hauler:

  • Study training manual DY-360 (PDF).
  • Contact the Customer Service Center, 800-292-3939 to receive instructions on how to take the written exam. An inspector will contact you after you pass the written exam to set up an appointment to take the practical exam.
  • A license costs $50 and is good for two years, expiring June 30th of even years (license is prorated).
  • If operating a self-owned truck, a milk transportation company (MTC) license is required which entails a $50 fee and completion of the MTC license form (PDF). You may also need the tanker license form (PDF).
  • For further information, take a look at the hauler/sampler application (PDF). This may or may not apply to your specific situation.
  • Requests for additional information can be made by email to

Grade "A" Pasteurized Milk Ordinance of 2017 (PDF)