Skip to main content

Dairy Warehouse/Distributor

Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs a license?

A Grade "A" Milk Distributor distributes or warehouses primarily Grade "A" products.  If you do not primarily warehouse or distribute Grade "A" products, you should obtain a food warehouse license.  However, this license is only for a stand-alone facility.  If your facility is part of a Grade "A" Milk or Manufacturing Dairy plant, it will be inspected and licensed as part of that plant.

What fees are required? How long is the license good for? 

The Grade "A" Distributor license fee is $100.  This license is renewed annually and is not pro-rated.

How do I apply for a license?

An individual should apply for a license by using the paper application or online application.

Are there any special requirements to obtain a license?

Yes.  An inspection is required. 

Who do I contact for an inspection?

An individual who is interested in being a Grade "A" Milk Distributor must contact the Lansing office at 800-292-3939.

Steps to becoming a Licensed Milk Distributor as per the Grade "A" Milk Law of 2001

This licensing category includes Grade "A" facilities that warehouse and distribute primarily dairy products. If the facility is part of a Grade "A" milk plant, it will be licensed as part of that facility and will not be charged an extra fee.

If the primary task of the facility is to warehouse or distribute products other than Grade "A", the facility should be licensed as a food warehouse.

Steps to becoming a Licensed Milk Distributor

  • For a stand-alone facility, fill out application form ($250 annually)
  • Contact the Lansing Office at 800-292-3939 to arrange inspection of a previously un-inspected facility.
  • Requests for additional information can be made by email to