Skip to main content

Dairy Grade A Producer

Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs a license?

If you want to sell raw milk for processing into any Grade "A" milk or milk products you are required to have a Grade "A" Dairy farm permit, regardless of the size of the farm.

How do I apply for a license?

An individual should contact the Lansing Office at 800-292-3939 for more information regarding operating a dairy farm.

Are there any special requirements to obtain a license?

Yes.  An inspection and a water sample are required.  There are other requirements - for additional information review "Summary of Requirements for Grade "A" Dairy Farm Milk Production in Michigan" DY-348.

Who do I contact for an inspection?

An individual who is interested in operating a Grade "A" dairy farm should contact the Lansing office at 800-292-3939.

Establishing a new Dairy Farm in accordance with the Grade "A" Milk Law of 2001

  1. Read "Summary of Requirements for Grade "A" Dairy Farm Milk Production in Michigan", DY-348 
  2. Contact the Lansing Office at 800-292-3939 to set up a meeting with a Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development dairy inspector. 
  3. The inspector will work with the prospective dairy farmer through the planning and development stages, until the farm meets licensing and inspection requirements.
  4. For further information, review:

    These may or may not apply to your specific situation.

  5. Once the farm is established and issued a permit, any future equipment or water system modifications must be reviewed and approved by the local MDARD inspector.
  6. Requests for additional information can be made by email at

Grade "A" Pasteurized Milk Ordinance of 2017