Dairy Manufacturing Producer
- Expiration: None
- Fee: $30, if dairy farm does not maintain adequate industry personnel; otherwise, $15 annually
- Email: MDA-DairyInfo@Michigan.gov or Phone: 800-292-3939
- Application: Manufacturing Grade Producer License Application (PDF) or apply online
Frequently Asked Questions
Who needs a license?
If you want to sell raw milk for processing into any manufacturing milk or milk products you are required to have a Manufacturing Dairy Farm permit, regardless of the size of the farm.
What fees are required? How long is the license good for? Is it pro-rated?
The Manufacturing Dairy Farm license is $30, if dairy farm does not maintain adequate industry personnel; otherwise, $15 annually.
How do I apply for a license?
An individual should contact the Lansing Office at 800-292-3939 for more information regarding operating a manufacturing dairy farm.
Are there any special requirements to obtain a license?
Yes. An inspection and a water sample are required. In addition there are a number of other requirements.
Who do I contact for an inspection?
An individual who is interested in operating a Manufacturing Dairy Farm should contact the Lansing office at 800-292-3939.
Establishing a new Dairy Farm in accordance with the Manufacturing Milk Law of 2001
- Contact the Lansing Office at 800-292-3939 to set up a meeting with a Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development dairy inspector.
- The inspector will work with the prospective dairy farmer through the planning and development stages until the farm meets licensing and inspection requirements.
- For further information, take a look at DY-321, DY-346, and Manufacturing Grade Producer License Application.
These may or may not apply to your specific situation.
- Once the farm is established and issued a permit, any future equipment or water systems modification must be reviewed and approved by your local MDARD inspector.
- Requests for additional information can be made by email at