Skip to main content

Dairy Single Service

Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs a license?

Anyone who produces single service products or closures for use in the dairy industry must have a single service facility license. However, this license is only for a stand-alone facility. If you facility is part of a Grade A Milk or Manufacturing Dairy plant, it will be inspected and licensed as part of that plant.

What fees are required? How long is the license good for?

The Single Service facility license is $250. This license is renewed annually.

How do I apply for a license?

An individual should apply for a license by using the paper application or online application.

Are there any special requirements to obtain a license?

Yes. An initial inspection is required.

Who do I contact for an inspection?

An individual who is interested in operating a single service facility should contact the Lansing office at 800-292-3939.

Steps to becoming a Licensed Grade "A" Single-Service Facility in accordance with the Grade "A" Milk Law of 2001

This licensing category for all facilities that manufacture single service containers such as jugs, caps, cartons, cups or bags for Grade "A" products such as fluid milk, yogurt, cottage cheese or sour cream, or cans for manufacturing milk products such as evaporated milk. If the facility is part of a Grade "A" milk plant, it will be licensed as part of that facility and will not be charged an extra fee.

Steps to becoming a Licensed Single-Service Facility:

  • For a stand-alone Grade A facility, fill out application form
    ($250 annually)
  • Contact the Lansing Office at 800-292-3939 to arrange inspection of a previously un-inspected facility.
  • Requests for additional information can be made by email to 


Grade "A" Pasteurized Milk Ordinance of 2017