Skip to main content

Dairy Transfer Station

Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs a license?

A transfer station is a facility that transfers milk to other milk tank trucks for transport to a dairy plant. This is not a first receiving point for processing. However, this license is only for a stand-alone facility. If your facility is part of a Grade "A" Milk or Manufacturing Dairy plant, it will be inspected and licensed as part of that plant.

What fees are required? How long is the license good for? 

The transfer station license is $250. This license is renewed annually.

How do I apply for a license?

An individual must apply for a license by using the paper application or online application.

Are there any special requirements to obtain a license?

Yes. An inspection is required. In addition, drug residue screening facilities may be required.

Who do I contact for an inspection?

An individual who is interested in operating a Transfer Station should contact the Lansing Office at 800-292-3939.

Steps to Licensing a Transfer Station in accordance with the Grade "A" Milk Law of 2001

A transfer station is a facility that receives milk and does not have storage vessels for the milk but simply transfers from one tank truck to another. If the facility is part of a Grade "A" Milk plant, it will be licensed as part of that facility and will not be charged an extra fee.

Steps to Licensing a Transfer Station:

  • For Grade "A" Stand-Alone facility, complete application form
     ($250 annually)
  • Contact the Lansing Office at 800-292-3939 to arrange for inspection of a previously un-inspected facility
  • Requests for additional information can be made by email to

Grade "A" Pasteurized Milk Ordinance of 2017