Skip to main content

License Type Guide with Associated Fees

Link for Dairy-Related Businesses 

All licensing fees are non-refundable, per statutory requirement.

A.1 Retail Food Establishment - License Fee $186
An operation that sells or offers to sell food directly to a consumer. Examples include a grocery store, convenience store, party store, retail bakery, fish market, butcher shop, candy store, and produce market. Note: If the business has both food service and seating for the food service, go to B.1.

A.2 Limited Wholesale Food Processor - License Fee $186
A wholesale food processor (see B.2) that has $25,000 or less in annual gross wholesale sales made or business done in wholesale sales in the preceding licensing year, or $25,000 or less of the food is reasonably anticipated to be sold for the current licensing year. Only the food sales from the wholesale food processor operation are used in computing the annual gross sales. Examples may include a small maple syrup operation, a small apple cider mill, a small honey processor, and a small poultry or rabbit slaughterer.

A.3 Food Warehouse License Fee $186
A food establishment that stores or distributes prepackaged food. This may include a small or large food warehouse, distribution center, transfer station, public cold storage facility, or reclamation center.

B.1 Extended Retail Food Establishment - License Fee $471
A retail food store that does both of the following:

  • Serves or provides an unpackaged food for immediate consumption.
  • Provides customer seating in the food service area.

B.2 Wholesale Food Processor - License Fee $471
An operation that processes, manufacturers, packages, or labels food for wholesaling. Examples include an ice manufacturer; wholesale bakery or bread plant; winery; brewery; water, juice, soft drink, or beverage plant; canning plant; flour mill, cereal plant; specialty foods processor; wholesale fish or seafood processor, wholesale fish smoking operation, fruit & vegetable packer, egg grading plant.

B.3 Mobile Food Establishment - License Fee $192
Operating (grocery sales) from a vehicle or watercraft and returning to a commissary for servicing at least every 24 hours. An example may include door to door frozen food sales from a truck. Note: the commissary must obtain a Mobile Food Establishment Commissary License.

B.4 Mobile Food Establishment Commissary -  License Fee $192
An operation that services a mobile food establishment.

C.1 Temporary Food Establishment - License Fee $73
A food establishment which operates at a fixed location for a temporary period not to exceed 14 consecutive days. Example: concession stands at state or county fairs.

D.1 Special Transitory Food Unit (STFU)- License Fee $159
"Special Transitory Food Unit" means a temporary food establishment that is licensed to operate throughout the state without the 14-day limits, or a mobile food establishment that is not required to return to a commissary. If the first operating location is a state or county fair, contact the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development (MDARD); otherwise, contact the local health department for that location.

Locally Offered Food Service Licenses 

E.1 Food Service Establishment - License Fee ? 
A place in which food or drink is prepared for direct consumption through service on the premises or elsewhere and any other eating or drinking establishment or operation where food is served or provided for the public. Examples include a fixed restaurant, coffee shop, cafeteria, short order cafe, luncheonette, grill, tearoom, sandwich shop, soda fountain, tavern, bar, cocktail lounge, nightclub, drive-in, industrial feeding establishment, private organization serving the public, rental hall, catering kitchen, delicatessen, theater, commissary, or similar business.

E.2 Mobile Food Service Establishment - License Fee ?
A catering truck or other food service establishment operating from a vehicle or watercraft that returns to a licensed commissary for servicing and maintenance at least once every 24 hours.

E.3 Temporary Food Service - License Fee ?
A food service establishment which operates at a fixed location for a temporary period not to exceed 14 consecutive days. Example: concession stands at festivals and events.

E.4 Mobile Food Establishment Commissary - License Fee ?
An operation that is capable of servicing a mobile catering food establishment.

E.5 Vending Machine - License Fee ?
A self-service device offered for public use that, upon activation by a coin, token, card, key, or paper currency, dispenses unit servicing of food or beverages without the necessity of replenishing the device between each vending operation. Vending machine does not include any of the following:

  • A device that dispenses only bottled or canned soft drinks; other packaged nonperishable foods or beverages; or bulk ball gum, nuts, and panned candies.
  • A water-dispensing machine that is registered by the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development.

? = Contact your local health department for applicable fees.