Skip to main content

Who needs a license to sell food?

A food establishment license is required in almost all instances where food is commercially handled or served to the general public. Even the giving of food to the general public is included. The Michigan Food Law of 2000 requires the licensing of any person or firm that processes, packs, cans, preserves, freezes, fabricates, stores, prepares, serves, sells, or offers food for sale. Some businesses are exempt: for those selling low-risk items, such as prepackaged foods, exemptions may apply.

For more information on Food Establishment Licensing, go here.