The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Office of the Superintendent
The state superintendent is appointed by the SBE and is its chair and a non-voting member. As the principal executive officer of the Michigan Department of Education (MDE), the superintendent attends the Governor’s meetings with department directors and advises the State Legislature on education policy and funding needs. The superintendent is responsible for the implementation of bills passed by the State Legislature and policies established by the SBE. The Superintendent is a major spokesperson for education in the state, serves as the primary liaison to the United States Department of Education (USED) and other federal agencies, and provides efficient and effective management of the USED’s considerable state and federal resources.
- Dr. Michael F. Rice - State Superintendent
- Dr. Sue C. Carnell - Chief Deputy Superintendent
- Dr. Delsa Chapman - Deputy Superintendent, Educator, Student, and School Support
- Dr. Diane Golzynski - Deputy Superintendent, Finance and Operations
- Dr. Michele Harmala - Deputy Superintendent, P-20 System and Student Transitions
Contact the Superintendent: MDE Office of the Superintendent