COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
Livestock and Pet FAQs
Sanitizer, Disinfectant, and Antimicrobial FAQs for Businesses and Facilities
The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) is providing the following guidance to aid your business or facility in complying with state and federal pesticide use laws. If you have questions, please contact MDARD at 800-292-3939 or visit us online at Michigan.gov/MDARDPest.
- Why do pesticide rules pertain to sanitizers and disinfectants?
- What is the difference between cleaners, sanitizers, disinfectants, and antimicrobials?
- Is "hand sanitizer" the same as "sanitizer"?
- Does my company need a Pesticide Application Business License to apply sanitizers and disinfectants?
- Do my employees need to be MDARD certified pesticide applicators to apply sanitizers and disinfectants?
- If I apply a disinfectant indoors which drains to a sanitary sewer or a septic system, is it considered movement that can affect surface or groundwater?
- What categories should applicators be certified in to apply sanitizers and disinfectants?
- Is bleach a pesticide?
- What sanitizers and disinfectants can my employees use to combat SARS-CoV-2?
- Can I provide free, bottled disinfectant to customers for use on countertops, playground equipment, and other surfaces?
- Can I provide bottled hand sanitizer to customers?
- Can my company provide outdoor sanitization/disinfection services to sidewalks, vehicle exteriors, and playground equipment?
- Can my power washing company provide outdoor sanitization/disinfection services?
- Can I spray antimicrobial coatings for hire to protect surfaces from SARS-CoV-2?
- Can I claim the disinfectant I use kills COVID-19?
- Can I claim the disinfectant I use is safer than other chemicals?
- What responsibilities do I have when applying a sanitizer or disinfectant?
- How do I select a disinfectant correctly for SARS-CoV-2?