Skip to main content

Transferring Your Farmland Preservation Agreement

When all of the land enrolled in a Farmland Development Rights Agreement is conveyed to another party (including a trust), the agreement must be transferred to that party.

If the land being conveyed is less than all of the land covered by the Agreement, you must first obtain approval to split the agreement.

To transfer an entire Agreement, submit the following to the Farmland Preservation office:

  • A copy of the deed land contract and/or death certificate which was used to convey the land to the new owner.
  • Completed TRANSFER REQUEST FORM (this form is designed so that the information can be typed in).

Once all of the information is received and reviewed for completeness, the Michigan Department of Agriculture will prepare a new Agreement to be sent to the new owner(s) to sign and have recorded at the Register of Deeds office in the county where the land is located.

Requests and forms should be sent to:
P.O. BOX 30449
faxed to 517-335-3131