Skip to main content

Splitting a Farmland Development Rights Agreement

Can I Split my Farmland Agreement?

A Farmland Agreement may be split into smaller Agreements if it meets certain requirements. Landowners should get the split approved and completed by the Farmland Preservation Office before selling the land.

Minimum Requirements: To split an Agreement, each of the resulting parcels must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Parcel is at least 40 acres in size and 51% agricultural use.
  • Parcel is less than 40 acres in size but at least 5 acres in size, at least 51% of the land is devoted to agricultural production and the land must produce a gross annual income of $200 or more per tillable acre.

How to request a split of a Farmland Development Rights Agreement:

To request a split of an Agreement, the following should be submitted to the Farmland Preservation Office:

  • A completed Split Request Form.
  • Legal descriptions for each parcel that is to be placed in a separate Agreement.
  • Submit documents to:

Approval: Upon review of the information provided and if the parcels meet the requirements, new Agreements will be sent to the Agreement holders to sign and have recorded at the Register of Deeds office in the county where the land is located. This must be completed prior to a transfer of ownership.