The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Qualified Forest Program
Michigan's Qualified Forest Program
The purpose of the Qualified Forest Program (QFP) is to encourage landowners to actively manage their privately owned forests for commercial harvest, wildlife habitat enhancement, and improvement of other non-forest resources. In exchange for managing their forests in a sustainable fashion, the landowner will receive an exemption from the local school operating millage.
To contact the Qualified Forest Program, please call 517-284-5630 or email us at MDARD-QFP@Michigan.gov.
- Qualified Forest Program Brochure
- Qualified Forest Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Qualified Forest Program Michigan State University Extension Bulletin
- Qualified Forest Program Legislation
- Qualified Forest Recapture Tax Act Legislation
How do I enroll in the QFP? (The deadline to apply is September 1st prior to the year you wish the exemption to take effect)
- Qualified Forest Program Application Instructions
- Qualified Forest Program Application (PDF)
- Qualified Forest Program Application (Word)
- Stand Summary and Harvest Schedule (PDF)
- Stand Summary and Harvest Schedule (Word)
- Agriculture Use/Forest Combination Brochure
- Agriculture Use/Forest Combination Example
- Treasury Form 5020
Forest Management Plan (FMP) Information
- Forest Management Plan Checklist
- Forest Management Plan Submission Form (PDF)
- Forest Management Plan Submission Form (Word)
- Forest Practice Reporting Form
- Forest Management Plan Amendment Request Form
Can someone locally assist me with QFP enrollment or other forest health issues?
How do I find a Qualified Forester to write a FMP?
Information for local units of government (i.e., equalization, assessors, and treasurers)
- Q&A for Assessors, Treasurers, and Equalization Offices
- QFP 2 mill fee payment voucher (For local government use)
Purchasing, selling, or removing land currently enrolled in the QFP
- Transferring land to a new owner
- Request to remove land from the QFP (PDF)
- Request to remove land from the QFP (Word)
Is there financial assistance available to help pay for a FMP?